Dr Garrett Leonard
Sports Doctor & ACSEP Registrar
Dr Garrett Leonard has trained and practised in Australia and Ireland in both Sport & Exercise Medicine and General Practice. Garrett has extensively worked with both male and female sports teams and individual elite athletes across a wide range of sports. He enjoys treating people of all ages and abilities in their pursuit of an active lifestyle. Garrett consults at Cockburn and Claremont and can be seen with or without a GP referral.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine (FFSEM, Ireland)
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (FRACGP)
- Member of the Australian College of Sports and Exercise Physicians
- MSc in Sport & Exercise Medicine (NUI, Galway)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (NSCA)
- FIFA Diploma in Football Medicine
- Member of the Irish College of General Practitioners (MICGP)
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (MRCPI)
- Diploma Royal college of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (DRCOG)
- Diploma in Child Health (DCH)
- Diploma in Medicine for the Elderly (DME)
- MB BAO BCh (UCD)
Tony Carney Gold medal in Sports and Exercise Medicine, National University of Ireland, Galway (2011)
Current Elite Sport Roles:
- Chief Medical Officer and Team Doctor to Perth Glory Mens and Womens’ teams.
Former Team Doctor to:
- Young Socceroos (Australian Mens U20 soccer team)
- Chief Medical Officer- Sport Ireland. World University Games ( Russia 2013)
- Chief Medical Officer- Sport Ireland World University Games ( South Korea 2015)
- Palmyra Rugby Union Club Doctor
- Football Association of Ireland, International Senior women’s team and International boys youth teams
- Bohemians FC (Irish Premier League soccer)
- Dublin GAA (Hurling)
- Acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries
- Overuse injuries in young athletes
- Sports related concussion
- Stress Fracture Management & Rehabilitation
- Non surgical osteoarthritis management.
- Exercise rehabilitation for long term medical conditions (Diabetes/Heart disease etc)
- Return to exercise post COVID-19 infection
Garrett is a keen participant, spectator and coach of a wide range of sports.
Soccer has been a constant throughout his life. Since kicking a ball on the street as a child, he has been in countless dressing rooms as a player and pitch side as team doctor. He loves nothing more than being part of a backroom team supporting elite athletes to achieve their best.
He understands the frustrations of injuries for athletes at all levels and loves working with patients to get them back doing what they love. His playing days may be over but he still loves to stay active in the outdoors whatever way he can..
Book An Appointment:
Please note that Dr Garrett is available at both Claremont and Cockburn practices.